Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Renaissance Fair



I went to the Renaissance fair yesterday for the very first time.  I had seen them in movies but never personally witnessed it myself where hundreds of people pretend that it's the 1300's.  I have to admit, it was a breath of fresh air from the day-to-day life, but... also "different"--not in a negative connotation. 


There's a ton of fascinating individuals, so it's hard not to people watch the entire time you are there.  I honestly thought the Renaissance festival was going to be more like Disneyland but without the fancy, schmancy rides... First timers, such as myself, go to enjoy the entertainment and to see what the festival has to offer.  It's a new experience and you just don't know what to expect.  Then there are those who go to actively participate by dressing up and playing the part--kudos to them! But majority of the individuals at the festival are like a traveling circus crew, who will go State to State, dedicating their lives to that Renaissance fair life...  It was like watching a reality TV show of Sister Wives or Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.  Seeing a whole different lifestyle to mine intrigued me in some ways. 




Now, I knew that people would dress up however, the sheer number of participants talking and acting as if it was 500 years ago was overwhelming.  At one point I recall a woman who was apparently in character angry towards a bunch of kids straight out of college, enjoying themselves at the fair.  It caught me a little of guard, but I supposed it was for all good and fun?  Something I'm not used to for sure.  


With my love, Lisa Ho<3

My look of the day.  I would have loved to dress up, but unfortunately I had nothing from that era...


Some of the "games" consisted of racing turtles.  The first turtle to reach a stone first is the winner...  The idea sounds ridiculous to me, but at the same time it's hilarious knowing that this is an actual game that's at the fair.  Good for them for staying true to that Renn Fair life.  


Had to take a photo with him because of his "Vote for Pedro" pin.  

I’ll admit, the renaissance fair is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, but it can be fun if you are open-minded to trying new things.  And if not for the festival, you’ll have to go for the delicious Appleatto at The Caramel Apple Slice booth...  While you’re at it enjoying your Appleatto, you might as well watch The Moonie and Broon show too.  Front row seats.  Trust me, it'll make you smile. 

Until next time.

Love,
Lina

No comments:

Post a Comment