Monday, February 23, 2015

Out of this World: Trona Pinnacles



This past Sunday I had a chance to explore a whole new side of California that I have never explored--the desert.  I've always wanted to go camping at the Joshua Tree national park, but never really had a chance to because of my insufficient knowledge on how to survive out in the wilderness let alone pitching a tent.  My expectations of what camping is like would be nothing like how it should be.  So in the end, it would be more frustrating than anything.

The only time I've ever considered spending time in the desert was on my way to Vegas, or my trip to Agua Caliente earlier this month in Rancho Mirage, but aside from that, I've never spent time out in the desolate land.



Sunday's adventure with my friends was located two hours above Victorville, in Ridgecrest and Trona.  If you think the land formations in the first image seemed vaguely familiar, it's probably because you've seen it in movies such as Disney's "Dinosaur," "Planet of the Apes," "Battlestar Galactica," and "Lost in Space."  It's also a popular destination for commercials and anything sci-fi related.  I'm not surprised though, the magnificent tufa (calcium carbonate) pinnacles looked as if you were on another planet.  Locals and people all around the world also come here to view nature at it's finest moments.  A perfect place to see the sunrise, sunset, and star gazing.


Film "Planet of the Apes" at the Trona Pinnacles




As much as I wanted to do a cool photoshoot all decked out in a sci-fiesque outfit, I opted out for  a more casual look with some black denim shorts, my Ironman sweatshirt, booties, and a casual forest green jacket with faux leather sleeve detailing. 



 

The trip out there was pretty last minute and I had no idea what to expect, but the next time I venture out there, I know exactly what I want to do.  Photoshoots and perhaps then, I will have a chance to check out the world beyond ours.


No comments:

Post a Comment