Thursday, November 14, 2013

Freelance Fashion Illustrator

Last quarter, I literally sat in my technical sketching course thinking, "When am I going to apply this out in the real world?"  Well surely enough, I finally get to use those skills and apply it outside of school... cause baby, I'M A FREELANCE FASHION ILLUSTRATOR FOR SUE WONG!!!  

It was all timing honestly.  

Most people don't know this and it's because I've been kind of hiding it this entire time, but I've been on survival mode.  I fully understand the true meaning of being a starving artist but I'm lucky enough to have good people to help me out through these tough times.  I won't go into the details, but at one point I knew I had to hustle!  Applied to jobs (relating to fashion), started to extend other services such as  photography, and just trying to network anywhere and everywhere I can!

So one day I checked the FIDM Facebook group to see if there was anything. I saw a post asking students if they are wanting to be a freelance fashion sketcher!  I'm not a big fan of sketching (I'd rather construct and bring my visions to life--that's the designer in me), but this would have been a great start for my fashion career nonetheless!  Sue Wong, is a well renown evening gown designer.  I have to admit, I didn't know who she was, but as I did my research, I saw that her lines were carried by high end stores such as Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Nordstroms... No wonder why I didn't know her!  I wasn't in her target market! 


As I entered this grey, old building located in Koreatown, with my micropens in one hand and a black portfolio with the other, I expected an office-like atmosphere--dull, boring with a yellow tone to the walls and horrible carpeting.  To my surprise, it was warm, inviting with grey tiled floors.  Had modern interior with racks full of dresses and artwork worth looking at.  I knew that the moment I walked in, I wanted to work here.  I've always envisioned myself working in a creative environment with unique individuals downtown or by the oceanside where there's always an amazing view of the city or the beach... No where near the coastline nor the city but I'd work the alleyways of Skid Row if it meant I can get to where I am years from now!

Basically walked in, sketched the details of the dress and was asked "how many sketches can you do?"  Shocked, I had to compose myself and had to clearly ask if I got the position and surely I did!  I was ecstatic to find out that I finally had a j-o-b!  JOB!  It's a freelancing position so I'm unsure how often I'll be sketching for Sue, but I am thankful to have this opportunity because it's one step closer to where I want to be!  Gotta keep dreaming!  Aim high, high, high for those stars and someday I will be able to reach them just by placing my hand out as if I were waiting for someone to hold my hand!  Oh how I wish I was already there; however, I know in the end it is the hard work and sweat that will make it rewarding.  And I shall leave you with this...


"Life is a journey, not a destination."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


See you tomorrow for Fashion Fridays at FIDM!
Good night loves<3

Lina Chen



No comments:

Post a Comment