Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Attention to Detail

Karl Lagerfeld
De-sign-er  [dih-zahy-ner]
Noun

1.  A person who devises or executes designs, especially one who creates forms, structures, and patterns, as for works of art or machines.
2.  A schemer, intriguer, or plotter.

As a self-taught designer, I've learned many of my skills through trial and error, mainly errors.  These mistakes would force me to rip out seams, re-cut fabrics, and cry while sewing the pieces back together hoping my envision comes to life.  Often it does but as far as execution...well, let's just say it wasn't my best work.  The insides fraying because the thought of lining my pieces meant that I had to do more work (and often I'm lazy to do so).  

Now that I've done this for a few years, I've got the hang of it.  I continue to learn from the mistakes I make and try to better my techniques as I sew.  This is probably one of my pride and joy:  The Feathered Skirt.  


Not only does it fit me (95% of the clothes I make don't since I size them to my skinny models) but it's also beautiful on the inside and out!  As mentioned in this post, details are critical in a garment.

White textured fabric complimenting the light brown feathers.

Faux belt to give a little "pizaaz" to the skirt.

Peek-a-boo cheetah print lining.

Black china silk lining underneath.  

This skirt BETTER be near perfect, for I have spent at least 15+ hours on this skirt.  The upside is that I have a new skirt in my closet AND I plan to make a black one too..so lucky me.  =]

<3,
Lina Chen

1 comment:

  1. LOOOVE the skirt!!! I need one in black! Orrr the black with a few peacock eye feathers in it Lol! ;-D

    ReplyDelete